Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Holiday Musings

I find myself feeling rather lonely tonight. I have been trying to see a few friends of mine for a few days. However, I have been up at my parents' home in the county and not within walking distance or 10 minutes from most people for the past few weeks. It's brought about a rather extreme shift in the people I talk to regularly. I'm not pleased with it, but let's face it: it's easier to be close to people you can see easily. I, as a human and friend, am lazy. I love the woman I lived with my freshman year of college dearly, we keep up via Facebook, and I do not think I have heard her voice for at least 4 years. I still miss her and think of her often though.

It seems this year I am realizing how many relationships I've let fall apart. There's a couple I know that I really miss. I'm not sure when we stopped being close, but I think it's about the same time I started breaking out in cold sweats whenever I walk into a church or christian bookstore. I have been feeling very compelled to reconcile some of these relationships, but am worried about many things. I feel like very little has changed in my life. I know that I've earned a degree, learned to knit and weave, but these do not feel like major life accomplishments. I feel like after not talking to people for a year or so, I should have something to show for it. When in reality, I know that's part of the reason I've been so uncommunicative. Since I feel like I'm not doing anything exciting, I don't call people to tell them I'm not doing anything exciting. A horrid vicious cycle really.

Happily, I reconnected with the only local grad school friend I have this past weekend. We had dinner, bought yarn and have made noise about me teaching her how to knit socks. I think it could be great fun. I'm always looking for new knitting buddies.

I got a fun warm fuzzy today: one of my partner's best friends added me on facebook. I know it's silly, but I hesitated adding his friends after I had met them. After all, they are *his* friends. But this guy and his wife (both of whom I enjoyed greatly and hope to see again soon!) just had a baby. I'm hoping to see fun baby pix up on their site.

Tonight feels like it could very well be an exceptionally long, rambling entry without much substance and very disconnected thoughts. That's been my thought patterns at least. I've apparently been verbalizing a lot of it too.

I watched "Made of Honor" tonight. It made me sad. I think that all the actors themselves did a good job. But the story was just excruciating to watch. It really never started moving. And it was the same old story that's been done so very many times. After the movie finally finished, we turned on "White Christmas" and laughed at a few stupid things. I remember saying it felt good to laugh after the first movie...

Anyways... I finished the sweater I want to wear Christmas today. I'll post a picture of it on once I've woven in the ends. I hate doing that part- it's like tying the fringe on a woven scarf. It's a necessary part of the process that is just so fantastically tedious...
I'm happy I started it late Saturday night and finished it this afternoon. I also started work on a woven scarf for my sister. It's not at all what we had planned to do. The original idea was to weave it on itself. But we did a few picks and quickly saw that the colors that were so very interesting and called us to this skein, washed out when put next to each other. Now this winey purple that I love (and seems to go with everything I've woven so far, was originally going to be the "crappy scrap yarn" that is used to weave a header and footer to hold the piece until fringe can be tied on. Turns out it matched so well that I'm using it as my weft.

As far as projects go I'm in a strange place. I only have one project on my needles and one work on the loom. I have another project for the loom warped (need new heddles) and another one that needs to be warped. But there is very little to keep this ADD girl happy. I guess it's time to weed through my stash again and see what happens. I have 4 skeins of Arucania Nature Cotton (2 magenta, 2 natural) that need to be used, and a few skeins of sock yarn (but I'm already working on a pair of socks). It's very odd for me. I like having 3-4 things to rotate around. Now that I love socks, there should always be a pair of socks on my needles- it's just such a great transportable project. I suppose most of me is waiting for Christmas to see if I get any yarn or gadgets or gift cards and see what happens with that :) I'm very optimistic. Supposedly, my dad (who is extremely handy and crafty himself) has been spending a lot of time in the basement making all kinds of noice. My mother and I are not allowed on his side under penalty of death, but my sister is. I can only hope that my request for help making a warping board was taken to heart! He did make me a new shuttle in a total of 5 minutes and I did ask for more for Christmas though... It could be a mountain of shuttles for all I know :)

And with that happy thought, I'm going to read a bit about the "Druid of Shannara" and go to sleep!

No comments: