Tuesday, March 17, 2009

As good a time as any

I don't have much to say tonight. I find this odd since I'm usually so chatty that I'm sure people need a break from me.

Not much is going on either. I've made a few great new things: hats for Hopkins kids, socks out of my crazy bright yarn from Stormmoonknits, half of the pair of bamboo socks... I've also been making good progress on the sweater for my mom and my tank top that has been hibernating since September (though I haven't touched it in a couple weeks since I realized how close mom's birthday is!). I'll be sending the neck warmer and Ribbon of Hope socks to Denver tomorrow. My plan was to have them in the mail today, but I had myself completely frantic to find a few rather valuable gift certificates from Christmas that I want to use. One was for an hour full body massage- the idea of losing that was horrifying! I think I'm going to use that next week :)

I suppose I do have 2 new developments: my dye project is actually to a point I'm willing to leave it alone and I've started taking a yoga/pilates class. My initial dye job was very, VERY adorable, yet pathetic. I decided to attempt the Kool-aid method since it doesn't require separate equipment. However, this greatly limited my color options. I am incredibly grateful that warm weather is around the corner, because today I noticed that there are far more varieties of the drink mix on the shelf. I actually acquired some green, blue and yellow for the next skein I dye.

Back to the first skein. I used purple, orange and yellow. I wanted the bulk of the yarn to be purple, so I attempted to paint half of the looped skein purple, and divide the remaining half between the yellow and orange. I put the orange at the tip so that it would not flow into the purple. The end result was what looked like a tie-dye experiment gone wrong. The colors did not saturate uniformly, I had lots of bare spots where the dye hadn't reached at all... It was just sad. Today I took the whole skein and over-dyed it with what should have been fushia. It turned out more red. It's not unattractive, but not at all what I was going for. I have many other ideas for the blue, yellow, green project I'll be doing next. Pictures will be posted when all is dry and happy.

The yoga class was certainly an experience and will be the reason I cut this entry short. I was made painfully aware that my legs are uneven last time. I think I'm more aware of my body than most people (due to much medical drama and a refusal to go to a doctor unless I'm dying). The instructor said most people don't know their bodies very well- maybe that's true, but I know mine pretty well. I can safely say my hamstrings have not stretched back out yet and I have class again in the morning.

This is probably a good time to stop writing. I'm going to set my tv timer and fall asleep to the Golden Girls :)

No comments: